• GAA Museum - Club offer September & October 2019

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Thiobraid Árann

Clean Ireland Recycling Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final – Kilruane MacDonaghs 1-22 Eire Og Annacarty 1-14

September 26th, 2015

Kilruane MacDonaghs 1-22 Eire Og Annacarty 1-14

Report by Ed Donnelly

Kilruane MacDonaghs and Eire Og Annacarty were the second game in Saturday’s double-header at Semple Stadium Thurles. After a high scoring opening match between Drom & Inch and Kildangan, the first half of the second game was more of a low scoring affair as both defences dominated. Scores were plentiful early on as a Conor O’Brien point for Eire Og met with an immediate response from Kilruane courtesy of three points from play by Justin Cahill (2) and Kieran Cahill. Paidi O’Dwyer replied with an Eire Og free before points by Kieran Cahill (free) and Cian Darcy put Kilruane in to a 0-5 to 0-2 lead after 10 minutes.

Eire Og then hit a purple patch, scoring three points in three minutes courtesy of Paidi O’Dwyer and Ronan O’Brien (2). In fact, Ronan’s second point from play should have been a goal after being set up by Conor O’Brien, Ronan’s strike from close range sailed over the bar when a goal seemed easier to convert.

The fare in the second quarter declined in standard as neither team would score from play. In fact, Eire Og would fail to score at all as four pointed frees by Kilruane’s Kieran Cleary were all that bothered the scoreboard operator as the North Division side went in at the interval leading by 0-9 to 0-5.

The early stages of the second half appeared to indicate an easy Kilruane victory as they outscored Annacarty by 1-4 to 0-2 in the opening seven minutes. The crucial goal coming courtesy of County Minor Cian Darcy after a long run and pass by Seamus Hennessy. This score left nine points between the teams after 37 minutes, 1-13 to 0-7.

To the credit of Eire Og Annacarty, they responded with a goal by substitute Seanie Ryan followed by quick points from Paidi O’Dwyer (free) and Kevin Fox to reduce the deficit to four points, 1-9 to 1-13 after 43 minutes. Over the next 10 minutes, the sides shared six points and heading in to the final stages, Annacarty were still in touching distance, leading by 1-17 to 1-13.

The final minutes of the game however rested with Kilruane as unanswered points from Kieran Cahill (free), Cian Darcy (2) and Seamus Hennessy (2 frees) put the North side in to an unassailable nine point lead. Conor O’Brien scored a point from play to finish the scoring on 58 minutes but in truth, Eire Og were a beaten docket at this stage and Kilruane marched on to the County semi-finals courtesy of a 1-22 to 1-14 victory.

Eire Og Annacarty: Darragh Mooney; Diarmaid Ryan, Eoin Kennedy, Dan Hogan; Paul Downey, Brian Fox, Tom Fox; Donal O’Dwyer, Eoin Bradshaw; Gearoid Ryan, Paidi O’Dwyer (Captain, 0-7, 0-6 frees), Patrick Horan; Kevin Fox (0-1), Conor O’Brien (0-2), Ronan O’Brien (0-3)
Sub: Dinny Crosse (0-1) for Patrick Horan (HT), Seanie Ryan (1-0) for Gearoid Ryan (38m), Richard O’Doherty for Eoin Bradshaw (38m)

Kilruane MacDonaghs: Conor Doheny; Darragh Peters, Jack Peters, Ray McLoughney; Willie Cleary, Niall O’Meara, Eoin Hogan (0-1); Justin Cahill (0-3), Seamus Hennessy (0-3 frees); Kevin Ryan, Kevin Quinlan (0-2), Kieran Cahill (0-8, 0-7 frees); Thomas Cleary (0-1), Brian O’Meara (0-1), Cian Darcy (1-3)
Sub: Conor Cleary for Kevin Ryan (26m), Eanna Hogan for Willie Cleary (56m), James Williams for Brian O’Meara (58m), Jonathan Cahill for Thomas Cleary (61m)

Referee: Johnny Ryan (Boherlahan-Dualla)


Our Sponsors